We provide a safe & supportive environment for:
freestyle Cyphers / talking circles
The cypher is a term for freestyle rapping in a circle sharing knowledge and stories improvised in the moment. This is a place to speak one's truth, to share stories and speak on life's challenges in a positive, supportive environment.
- Encourage youth to step up and share their unique voice, develop inner-confidence and self-worth
- Receive support, encouragement, guidance and mentorship from positive role-models for personal growth and success in life
- Develop skills as an artist and practice discipline and strong work-ethic
community gatherings / youth ShowcaseS
A monthly, theme-based celebration where local artists who spread messages that are in line with our values and youth talent will perform and receive recognition and support from the community.
- To provide a platform that promotes hip-hop music with conscious and empowering values. This gives youth an alternative to mainstream rap, which often promotes misogynistic attitudes towards women and glorification of drugs, money and material possessions.
- To be a catalyst for aligning energy on the grass roots level with a special emphasis on acting as a bridge for environmental movements. Community-based organizations will be invited to promote themselves at our events.
- Provide a space for guest speakers and elders to share teachings and stories to ensure that the fifth element of hip-hop, knowledge, is passed along and help bridge the gap between youth and elders in our community.
- Feature the five elements of hip-hop (master of ceremony, DJ, art, dance and knowledge)
EXPERIENCES IN NATURE
Disconnecting from screens and reconnecting with the natural rhythm allows us to slow down, reflect on life, realign and remember being part of the human experience. Activities include: finding a personal or group sit-spot, writing, talking/drum circle, fire-making and storytelling.
- Clarity about one's journey and current phase of life.
- To experience a connection with Mother Earth as our provider of food, water and all necessities needed to survive.
FOUNDERS OF CYPHER CURE
We come from different backgrounds and cultures, but share a belief in equality, freedom, justice, knowledge, and a love for hip-hop.
Quincy Davis: (nominated as Portland's Best Hip-Hop Artist in 2017 by Willamette Week Reader's Poll) is a passionate MC shedding light with thought-provoking lyricism and his personal story of redemption. His work is infused with transformative power from the depths of a self-destructive lifestyle to finding his greater purpose through sobriety and traditional earth-based ceremony.
Filipino-American hip hop recording artist residing in Portland, OR. Known for his quick lyrical delivery and spiritually inspiring lyrics. He is also CEO of his own company and youth mentor who is dedicated to inspiring others with his music. After being released from a two-year sentence at the age of 21, he came out as a different person, influenced by spiritual values that carry him to this day. He has done what he said he would do once he got out of prison and continues to inspire others with his music knowing that his purpose in this life is to help people find their own purpose in life.
Jesse the Imaginer (I'M Awakening Genius IN Every Rap) was born in a cabin in Zig Zag, Oregon, a stones throw from the Sandy river. Growing up in the boondocks he was lured to the rhythmic ways of Hip Hop since childhood. Being shy and reserved, Jesse dabbled in rap writing as an adolescent but it wouldn't be until his early 20s that freestyling would be an avenue of personal transformation. Freestyling taught him a vital life lesson; mistakes are a necessary part of growth. He is invigorated to help others find liberation through verbal expressions of cyphering, poetry and writing bars. Currently Jesse is finishing up his Masters of Teaching program at Concordia University and seeks to integrate Hip Hop pedagogy in his professional endeavors as he continues to flow like river he was born next to.